Friday, February 9, 2018

installation - Does it worth to reinstall Windows 7 in the same partition after bad sectors found by CHKDSK in it?

I've executed CHKDSK with both "Automatically fix filesystem errors" and "Scan for and attempt recovery bad sectors" options selected on a system partition of a clean Windows 7 installation.


Wininit report says:



...
CHKDSK is verifying free space (stage 5 of 5)... 9410465 free clusters processed. Free space verification is complete. Adding 3 bad clusters to the Bad Clusters File. Correcting errors in the Volume Bitmap. Windows has made corrections to the file system. 52531199 KB total disk space. 14724752 KB in 44278 files. 35708 in 13707 indexes. 12 KB in bad sectors.
...



Also, I can see such errors in Event Viewer from LoadPerf source:



Unable to read the performance counter strings defined for the 022 language ID. The first DWORD in the Data section contains the Win32 error code.



I suppose this is a result of system installation in a partition having bad sectors.


My questions:



  1. I know the best solution would be to move to new HDD, but anyway, what if to reinstall the system into this verified volume again without reformatting it. My understanding is that installation will bypass bad sectors and there is a chance that no files will be broken after new clean installation. Am I right?


  2. again, as far as I know this Volume Bitmap is a part of NTFS, why those bad sectors are not remapped/relocated by the system as MHDD does?


  3. I wanted to perform full (not quick) partition (not whole disk) formatting before the system installation. But I couldn't see such option even in "advanced" menu. It looks like Windows 7 just does quick formatting. I'm not sure why but I'm sure this option is hidden and can be used somehow. How to do that?


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...