Monday, February 12, 2018

hard drive - Can a HDD cause damage to the MoBo?



After a few years since I built my PC it started to freeze and the diagnostic from the Tech Service was a malfunctioning MoBo (SATA related issue). When replacing the MoBo I noticed some damage/corrosion in some of the pins of the SATA connector of the HDD (the power connector was ok) , this issue was not present on other drives. With the new MoBo everything works well and the apparently problematic HDD works fine, but I'm afraid that the drive was the reason that slowly damaged the old MoBo and I don't want it to happen again. The PC has only seen light usage over 4 years and the drive was always connected to only that PC. I want to know if my reasonings might be correct and the HDD can be cause of the MoBo damage and if there's a way to check the health of the drive.



Thanks!



Answer



Corrosion and bent pins can cause short circuits so your concern is valid. If you are able to clean up the corrosion and gently straighten the pins (power off of course) and then the board works correctly, it is likely fine.


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...