Wednesday, February 14, 2018

laptop - Hard drive issues - SpinRite vs. S.M.A.R.T

The Toshiba hard drive in a Sony VAIO laptop went bad. I put in a Western Digital drive (WD1600BEVS-60RST0, firmware v4.01G04) from an HP laptop. I ran SpinRite at level 2 and found some bad sectors, but it seemed to recover data and mark. I ran SpinRite at level 5, and it took approximately 30 hours, but it finished clean - no report of any problems.


However, when I boot, I get a non-specific S.M.A.R.T. error saying something to the effect of "drive failure is imminent!" So I'm a little confused - SpinRite said, "all good!", but S.M.A.R.T. is saying "Danger, Will Robinson!". Who do I trust? What's going on? What does S.M.A.R.T. know that SpinRite doesn't?

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...