Sunday, February 25, 2018

How to stop Background Intelligent transfer service(BITS) from downloading stuff on Windows 10


There are several methods you find if you google



  1. Setting the BITS Start Key under HKLM\Services\CurrentControlSet to 4

  2. Run "sc stop bits"

  3. Run mscongig & go to startup and uncheck Background Intelligent Transfer Service.


I tried all of these but none of these prevent BITS from downloading stuff in the background.


Normally, it's not so bad, but I had a Windows Update download stop in between when my internet connection went down. When my internet connection came back up, the BITS choked up my internet connection downloading stuff continously. You will see it in Task Manager Performance Tab Monitor Resources as hostsvc -k netsvcs.


Answer



None of the above methods worked. What actually worked was setting my Wifi Connection as a metered connection.


The way to do this is



  • Go to Network and Settings->Wifi

  • Click on your connection

  • Click on Advanced options below the list of your Wifi Connections

  • Set Metered Connections to On.


This seems to be the only thing which can stop BITS from download stuff in the background.


BITS had made my laptop unusable for a few hours before I found this workaround.


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...