Tuesday, February 6, 2018

cpu - Can't get Intel heatsink back on

I took off the CPU heat sink to blow out the dust. Now I can't get it back on. I've tried everything I red from Google: I pull up the black pins so they're inside the white part before putting the heatsink in place, and then push firmly down. Usually 2 of the 4 pins don't make a clicking noise. Is it possible the pins are broken? I need this computer for work so would buying a new heat sink solve the problem? Here are some pictures. Normally I apply the thermal paste to the CPU but when I moved the heat sink around it got messy and I cleaned it all off, but I'll reapply it before replacing the heat sink.



UPDATE: it must be something else. 1) all 4 pins clicked in 2) the thermal paste on the CPU had been smeared around so the heat sink had made contact
bottom of heat sink

side of heat sink
another side image of heat sink
top of heat sink
mother board



I know the heat sink isn't sitting on properly because when I turn on the computer I get a CPU over heat error (and have to turn off). Is there anything else I can try or should know before buying a new heat sink? The fan works fine so it's only a problem with the connectors.

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...