Monday, February 19, 2018

Always present password field on Windows login instead of fingerprint


I've recently enabled the fingerprint reader on my laptop running Windows 8.1 and now use it for login as a supplement to my password. When I login using my fingerprint, the default login method is changed to fingerprints, and Windows displays this when I turn on the computer:


Login with fingerprint


However, when I'm at home and my laptop is plugged into my docking station, I can't access the fingerprint reader underneath the laptop lid. Thus, I have to click Sign-in options and then the password icon before being able to type my password:


Login with fingerprints, options folded out
Login with password, coming from fingerprints


When the password field is shown, I can still login using my fingerprint, and thus, having the password field shown always would be ideal, so as to save clicks each time I log in a home. Is this possible?


Answer



This has been fixed in Windows 10. The sing-in screen now always shows the password field, even if I last signed in with my fingerprint.


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...