Friday, February 16, 2018

MSDN Subscriptions = Windows 7 Ultimate License?


If I were to get a MSDN Operating Systems license, would that also mean I would have access to download the Windows 7 ISO, along with Windows Vista, and XP? Can anyone with access to MSDN show us all what kind of privileged it grants you?


I'm asking because I need a Windows 7 License myself, I want to get Ultimate, and I will soon. But I also help a lot of friends with their computers, and I find myself in need of access to different versions of windows install media. Would getting an MSDN subscription offer me that benefit? Could I download the XP, Vista, or 7 ISO files if I needed to and just use their Serial Number to re-install their OS for them?


Answer



Just to be clear: MSDN is not licensed for you to let all your friends install using the keys you would get, but yes, you have access to a great range of ISO's to re-install using their keys.


You would have access to virtually every OS, every version, going back to DOS, except for ones (95/98/ME) excluded by a settlement over Microsoft's virtual machine (Java settlement).


Also, although the activations never expire, technically, you are supposed to renew your subscription yearly to keep using the software.


This is not MSDN, but TechNet. This is VERY similar to MSDN, except that MSDN has virtually every language under the sun. There may be some other difference that I am not aware of, but based on the sample screenshots, I suspect that you will be well-served by TechNet alone. One other benefit other than it is only about $325 ($250 renewal), so much cheaper than MSDN, is that you also get two Microsoft Support cases yearly. So you can call them for support at no cost twice (regularly $260 per call, so worth it for this alone).


These are sample screenshots of the download pages, which are very similar for MSDN. Note the all editions for the OS, and Office. This is one of my greatest tools for learning.


enter image description here
enter image description here
enter image description here


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...