Wednesday, February 21, 2018

Windows 7 Backup & Restore makes backup of external hard drive partition although unchecked in backup settings


I ran into a strange problem with Windows 7 Backup & Restore.


I've got the following setup:



  • Internal ssd with c: (system), 80GB

  • Internal hard drive e: (data), 320GB, 100GB used

  • External hard drive (3TB) with three partitions: g:, h: and I:


g: and h: have data (mainly movies), I: is my backup partition for Windows Backup & Restore.


In the Backup & Restore control panel, under 'change settings', g: and h: are unchecked (--> no backup for g: and h:). Nevertheless, when I choose 'restore my files', g: and h: appear in the files that can be restored, with many movies that are on those two partitions.
Consequently, my backup file is ~500GB and I almost reached the limit of my backup partition. Also, backup takes ages (~1 hour, without system image) to complete.


So here are my questions:



  1. How can I exclude partion g: and h: from being backuped? What else could I try, except unchecking these participions under 'change settings'?

  2. I wouldn't like to have a 500GB backup file for my 100GB data disk (e:). How can I delete all the movies from g: and h: without deleting the backups of e:?


Edit:



  • 'Include a system image of drives: System reserved, C:' is unchecked in the backup settings.

  • I'm sure that on neither g: nor h: are any programs, system files or installed services. Data consists of exclusively movies and music.


Edit 2:


Thanks for all the answers. None of the proposed solutions worked in my case. I finally solved the problem by formatting partition h: of my external hard drive. I then chose this partition as my backup drive, with exactly the same settings, and everything worked as expected (~150GB backup size, 10-15 minutes for incremental backup). Why? No idea...


I marked Nick Josevskis answer as the right one, because it might help others with the same problem.


PS: Sorry, don't have enough reputation to up-vote your answers.


Answer



As a separate answer to other one I posted:


Have you created any symbolic links / junctions from folders on drive C: that maps to your other drives?


For reference see:



http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/16226/complete-guide-to-symbolic-links-symlinks-on-windows-or-linux/



After a quick search I found this tool to help find them, there may be others (note: I have not used this tool so proceed with caution).



http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/ntfs_links_view.html



No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...