Sunday, February 18, 2018

hard drive - Can someone explain RAID-0 in plain English?

I've heard about and read about RAID throughout the years and understand it theoretically as a way to help e.g. server PCs reduce the chance of data loss, but now I am buying a new PC which I want to be as fast as possible and have learned that having two drives can considerably increase the perceived performance of your machine.


In the question Recommendations for hard drive performance boost, the author says he is going to RAID-0 two 7200 RPM drives together. What does this mean in practical terms for me with Windows 7 installed, e.g. can I buy two drives, go into the device manager and "raid-0 them together"?


I am not a network administrator or a hardware guy, I'm just a developer who is going to have a computer store build me a super fast machine next week. I can read the wikipedia page on RAID but it is just way too many trees and not enough forest to help me build a faster PC:



RAID-0: "Striped set without parity" or
"Striping". Provides improved
performance and additional storage but
no redundancy or fault tolerance.
Because there is no redundancy, this
level is not actually a Redundant
Array of Inexpensive Disks, i.e. not
true RAID. However, because of the
similarities to RAID (especially the
need for a controller to distribute
data across multiple disks), simple
strip sets are normally referred to as
RAID 0. Any disk failure destroys the
array, which has greater consequences
with more disks in the array (at a
minimum, catastrophic data loss is
twice as severe compared to single
drives without RAID). A single disk
failure destroys the entire array
because when data is written to a RAID
0 drive, the data is broken into
fragments. The number of fragments is
dictated by the number of disks in the
array. The fragments are written to
their respective disks simultaneously
on the same sector. This allows
smaller sections of the entire chunk
of data to be read off the drive in
parallel, increasing bandwidth. RAID 0
does not implement error checking so
any error is unrecoverable. More disks
in the array means higher bandwidth,
but greater risk of data loss.



So in plain English, how can "RAID-0" help me build a faster Windows-7 PC that I am going to order next week?

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...