Monday, February 5, 2018

memory - RAM for Lenovo Thinkserver TS 440

I am setting up a new Lenovo Thinkserver TS440 in my home as a workstation and as a test server. Here is the system I purchased: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=9091972 . As you see, it has only 4GB RAM installed and I want to upgrade to 32 GB--the maximum allowed. Crucial's recommended RAM solution comes out expensive: Would cost me well over $200. Amazon has http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DCMUDCS?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_sfl_title_10&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER which would cost me $158 at this point. But Amazon's is a Non-ECC. From my research so far, it shouldn't matter too much if I have Non-ECC?



So, given above information, will the Amazon solution work? I will also try to find some old RAM sticks and experiment with them before forking out any money.




BTW, the Amazon RAM module is:



Crucial Ballistix Sport XT 32GB Kit (8GBx4) DDR3 1866 MT/s (PC3-14900) UDIMM 240-Pin Memory



And the recommended one from Crucial is:



8GB DDR3 PC3-12800 Unbuffered ECC 1.5V 1024Meg x 72



Please give your advice/opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...