Thursday, December 27, 2018

windows xp - Old computer runs out of memory even when idle

I'm trying to speed up an old computer running XP, and it seems the problem is mainly that it's constantly losing RAM/virtual memory until it runs out. If no programs are running (System Idle Process is the only thing taking up CPU time), the computer just runs out of memory more slowly. Why could this be happening?



Note: What I'm seeing is when I pull up task manager, the commit charge is constantly increasing at a rate of at least 30K/sec, way faster if the computer is doing something. It does this until the commit charge reading is around 440000K/866000K, at which point it stops going up and the computer becomes basically unresponsive.

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...