Saturday, December 8, 2018

How can I - as administrator - change a standard user's password in Windows 10?

Surprised I didn't find this question already ...




My kid tried to set a password for their standard account on a Windows 10 system. Unfortunately the log in fails. I can get in as admin, but going through the settings interface only seems to allow me to set the admin password. My web search feels like it is leading me down the proverbial rabbit hole, telling me to go to the command prompt and type




net user "USERNAME" "NEW_PASSWORD"




However, I get a System Error 5 (which is "Access denied" from what I found on the web).



So, how can I overwrite another user's password from a Windows 10 admin account?

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...