Sunday, December 9, 2018

N61JQ laptop random freeze, no bsod, heat related

I've had (and abused) for over 4 years: sandy gigs, pretty harsh drops, 2 failing hard drives, and it still runs fine EXCEPT for random freezing, no bsod; only way to get it moving is to keep the power button pressed or remove power. I've noticed that it is definitely heat related. Living in a big city the dust is a huge problem, I have to clean it out and replace the thermal paste every 2 months or so because the issue gets out of hand and the freezes become more and more frequent.


I've ruled out RAM and hard disk problems, so I figure it's either the CPU or GPU. Is there a way that I could rule out GPU? I've read that CPUs will start doing this if they have so many uptime hours, and this thing has definitely ran for hours on end almost every day for the past 4 years - but I could replace it and even perhaps upgrade it if I knew it was the cause of this problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...