Thursday, December 27, 2018

How does Windows know recognize an SSD as an SSD and not a HDD?

I have an SSD mounted in an external enclosure and it was installed as a Windows to Go workstation. The external enclosure has a VL716 chipset and the connection to the PC is done via an USB Type-C cable from the enclosure to USB 3.0 type A.



Windows however shows the following picture (disregard the Iomega drive, that has an HDD inside):



The SSD is incorrectly identified (C and D), the Iomega drive is an external HDD.




So it's not recognizing the drive as an SSD, the correct picture would be like this:



The SSD is correctly identified (C and D), Iomega is an external HDD.



That was when the SSD was mounted directly to a SATA port of the machine. Wondering if it had something to do with the enclosure I changed it to another USB 3.0 one that uses a different chipset, this time is a JMicron one; but to no avail.



Interestingly, TRIM commands do make it to the disk with both enclosures when issued via PowerShell for example:



Optimize-Volume -DriveLetter D -ReTrim -Verbose



But since Windows doesn't identify it as an SSD I fear it'll try to defragment the drive instead of just issuing a TRIM. I could disable the weekly or daily optimization of Windows and set up an scheduled task to issue TRIM manually but I would rather know what Windows does or how it recognizes SSDs, maybe there's a bug that needs to be reported or I'm missing a step but the Windows to Go installation was performed officially (i.e. not using third party tools) and directly into the SSD, it wasn't cloned.



I apologize for the long read, but I wanted to give you as much details as possible, and if something is missing just let me know to amend the question.

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...