Sunday, December 23, 2018

windows xp - My computer hangs on booting. How do I figure out what is going wrong?


My work laptop (which I have admin access on) freezes fairly frequently upon boot. I get to the point where I am logged in (type my Windows user name and password) and looking at the blue background...and...it just hangs.


I have tried looking at the event viewer, but there are so many errors and warnings, I'm not even sure I'm looking at the right thing. Any suggestions for figuring out what is going wrong?


(With all this said, there is a ton of crap installed on this PC due to corporate policies, etc. It may very well be an update to an application. If I can confirm that it is a specific application, that would be huge.)


Answer



This often occurs due to a network/domain issue. Are you logging in to a domain? If so, try logging in to the local machine as the local administrator. If everything boots up quickly, then the problem lies on the network and we can go from there.


A better explanation is that XP isn't very smart with networking. When you log in to your domain, XP tries to make all of those connections to your domain while it is logging in, and waits a very long time before timing out to let you continue to log in.


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...