Wednesday, December 19, 2018

power supply - Can't seem to get chassis fans running


I've got a ASUS ROG Maximus V Extreme and I'm trying to connect my fans to the chassis fan pins to get them running according to the motherboard. I know for sure that my fans work, as when I test them with my Molex connector, they all happily power on.


Here's two of my chassis fans connectors (there are 3-4):


enter image description here


enter image description here


Here's the connector that came with either my motherboard or the PSU, can't remember :)


enter image description here


I've never seen one of these strange cables before. All I know is that if I plug in the 4-pin mobo connector to either of these fan plugs, fans don't come on and don't show up in the BIOS. (Motherboard has a crazy awesome UEFI BIOS and shows you if it sees the fans.) If I try plugging the 4-pin connection into the mobo and the other side into the PSU, I can't POST. If I plug the PSU connector in without the mobo connector, fans come on.


What could I be doing wrong here? Is it a problem with the cable I'm using? Is there something I may have missed in the build?


Answer



You are referring to a floppy power connector. It does not connect to the motherboard. The connection on the motherboard is where you connect the cable from the fan.


If you don't have a floppy drive, leave this disconnected.


Floppy connector is the lower left connector in this image.
enter image description here
enter image description here


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...