Thursday, December 13, 2018

external hard drive - Western Digital My Passport how is data stored



I have a Western Digital My Passport (external hard drive) and I had been using it to back up my Windows XP machine. The XP machine's hard drive crashed, so now I am left with the My Passport drive.




Will I be able to load My Passport onto a Windows 7 machine? What about a Mac? Does anyone have any experience with this? Was it a bad idea to use the Western Digital My Passport software?



Any input would be great. Thanks!


Answer



You won't have any trouble reading the drive using a Windows 7 machine.



You shouldn't have any trouble reading the drive on a Mac either. If the drive was formatted using FAT32, which is likely the default, a Mac can read and write just fine to it. If it's formatted NTFS, which is the Windows standard, it should be able to read, but not write.


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...