Thursday, May 10, 2018

XP Standby worked Windows 8 Sleep does not

In my daily routine I depended very much on Standby previously in XP. Now with Windows 8 I can enable hibernate and it seems to work - startup takes 30 seconds after a shutdown and 15 seconds after an inactivity sleep plus BIOS POST time.


But the equivalent of Standby does not seem to work on my machine - Hibernate is disabled at this point. With SysInternals I get the following:



C:\Users\Administrator>psshutdown -d -t 0


PsShutdown v2.52 - Shutdown, logoff and power manage local and remote systems
Copyright (C) 1999-2006 Mark Russinovich
Sysinternals - www.sysinternals.com


Error shutting down system: The request is not supported.



I'm guessing from this that Windows 8 handles my legacy BIOS differently than XP.
How would I debug this?

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...