Friday, May 25, 2018

windows 7 - Active Directory login


I have a machine with a strange error when logging into ADS. (Local logins work fine.)



Profile invalid



But when I look through the hard drive I don't even see the account. I know the user has been logging onto ADS from this computer for years. Some months ago this trouble started, and they've been logging onto a local account since.


It's possible, though I wouldn't know how, that somehow the ADS account (let's call it abc) became confused with the local account (let's call it Adam Carter). But that doesn't account for the local account still working. More surprising to me, if there was no ADS folder the computer should have no trouble creating a new Users\abc folder, but instead it just gives the error as above.


Another wrinkle I don't understand: rather than present either a generic ADS login or list of local accounts, the computer displays only one choice on logon, "Other User". Clicking on this immediately (not after a minute as though loggin in) yields a second sign-on screen defaulting to our AD server. (I was able to log in and create a new account under my AD login, and it was actually validating my credentials because it denied a login when I mistyped my password.) I've never seen this interface before.


The system is Windows 7 Professional SP1, x64.


Answer



You may need to remove the profile.


Open System from the Control Panel and select 'Advanced system settings'


enter image description here


Click 'Settings...' under the User Profiles section


enter image description here


Select the Domain profile (domain\user, not hostname\user), and click Delete


enter image description here


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...