Sunday, May 20, 2018

Best practices for Windows 10 opsec?

I'm thinking about upgrading my Win7 machine to Windows 10, but current info I'm finding online is contradictory and generally fuzzy about to what extent it phones home and otherwise compromises security. Thus my question:


What steps does one have to take to upgrade Windows 10 from Windows 7 such that:



  • You do not have to have an account with Microsoft,

  • You can use BitLocker without your Bitlocker recovery key being shared with
    Microsoft,

  • And, in general, Windows does not send back any information about you to Microsoft?


Thanks in advance. I'd rather not get halfway or completely through an upgrade only to find out this can't be done. I already know how to install Windows. What I do not know is the full gamut of things that need to be disabled in order to install Windows in a secure manner.

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...