Friday, May 25, 2018

usb - How can I detect what is blocking some certain keyboard keys?

After a while (about half an hour) booting up my system, some of my keyboard keys become unresponsive. Their respective Shift+, Ctrl+ and Alt+ combinations are also unresponsive. Pressing these keys do just nothing. When I restart (or power off and reboot) my system they become active again for a while.


I haven't installed any particular software that remaps the keyboard keys or does anything similar. My operating system is up to date. I'm very careful with viruses, I have Comodo antivirus installed.


I tested this keyboard in another USB port (without restarting the system), and the problem was same.
I plugged (without restarting the system) another keyboard to that USB port (to the one which the problematic keyboard was originally plugged in), and the new keyboard was functioning alright.
EDIT: I tried these tests with restarting system too. The results were the same.


How can I detect what software is causing this in my PC? Or is this just because of my keyboard being broken (a hardware failure)? Do I need to buy a new keyboard?




The problematic keys are:



  • The Left CTRL key

  • Some certain function keys: F1, F2, F8, F9

  • Two number keys: 5, 6 (not the ones on the number pad)

  • Some special keys: Ins, Del, Home, PgUp

  • Some punctuation characters: " (quote), * (asterisk), - (hyphen)


My OS: Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...