Thursday, May 31, 2018

windows - Overwrote my presentation with a new blank file, now can't recover it



I had a PowerPoint file with 140 slides that accidentally overwrote with a new blank file of the same name.





  1. I always save my files on SharePoint but this time I forgot it.


  2. I tested applications like Active Recovery and others in quick scan, but they can only restore deleted files, not the last version.


  3. I searched the Internet and found a solution, but it didn't help.




    Several days ago I inadvertently deleted a Powerpoint Presentation I
    was working on. I checked my reclycle bin and it wasn’t there. How can
    I get it back?

    If your important Powerpoint presentation has been accidentally deleted from your computer’s hard driver, you don’t have to start over
    from scratch with a new file. You can restore the deleted Powerpoint
    file with a file-recovery tools. The program will scan your computer’s
    hard driver thoroughly and retrieve the lost PPT files even if you
    have emptied the PPT files from Windows recycle bin or Mac trash bin.



  4. I checked the folder for recovered unsaved presentations here:



    C:\Users\staba\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Office\UnsavedFiles



    But there aren't any deleted files.


  5. I checked the NTFS properties of my drive and files, but versioning is not activated.



Answer



Running applications like Active Recovery in full scan mode (super scan, like this picture) instead of Quick Scan mode (as I have done previously) solved my problem.



When you save a new file over an existing one, the files are not actually overwritten and deleted – they're created again with the same name.



Every time you save a file, the Operating System creates a new file on the disk and the last versions are still there -- But you must be careful, don't write anything to your disk or defrag it!




With a full scan you can recover them.




No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...