Thursday, May 10, 2018

Unable to Reset Windows or get a 'Fresh Start'

I've been attempting to re-install Windows 10 Home for several hours now and keep running into the same issue. Whenever I attempt to reset the process reaches 30%-35% and then starts to undo the changes and gives me the error message



'There was a problem with resetting your PC. No changes have been
made.'



I did some Googling and came up with a few solutions but all have left me with the same error message (or something similar). Here's what I tried (in order of first to last).



  1. Ran a Fresh Start from the Settings

  2. Ran Reset PC from Settings (this gave me the error message there wasn't enough space to download new version of Windows message - at that point I had 13.3GB free on the C:/ drive)

  3. I cleared some space on the C:/ drive just in case (new free space is 22.5GB)

  4. Ran these two commands from the System32 folder in Advanced Restart Command Prompt - rem system system.001 - rem software software.001 (first command ran fine, second told me files were in use and it could not be run)

  5. Ran chkdsk, it found some problems but told me they were fixed

  6. Ran scandsk, again this found problems but they were fixed

  7. Disabled and Re-enabled reagentc

  8. Created a bootable USB with a Windows ISO - booted from this but as soon as the dots had been round once the setup crashed and PC rebooted into existing Windows


Is there anything else at all I can try? I'm really keen to get a fresh start somehow - I don't really care if it means wiping the C:/ drive completely to be honest - however I do have an internal D:/ drive (whole drive - not partition) that I don't want to change at all.


Any help would be welcome!

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...