Thursday, May 31, 2018

file management - adding a custom user folder on Ubuntu



Question: How do you add a custom folder to the collection of user folders that come with Ubuntu?







Info:



I just loaded my netbook with Ubuntu Desktop 10.04LTS (Desktop because it is an aspire one and the Apocalypse seems to follow when ever i try to install netbook remix onto it). It comes with standard folders like Documents, Music, Pictures, Downloads(though this one doesn't appear until you actually download something), Videos, etc etc. These are handly little folders because they have little symbols on them and are nicely located in my file browser. it is basically like the folder lay out the windows had in vista.



I do a lot of little programing on this computer so i have a folder in which i keep all these single kb code files. Obviously named "Code" that I keep in my home folder. But I would really like to it over listed next to my other user folders.



In summary, how do you add a folder to the listing on the file browser. And, if possible, how do you give it an icon? (I understand fully that I will probably have to make said Icon) those two things are what I'm seeking to do.



~n




P.s. please correct me if I'm using the wrong name. I just guessed and called them "User Folders" because they were folders the user uses. made sense. but if they have another name like "libraries" please say so. Thanks


Answer



You can add a Bookmark either in a nautilus window via Places|Add Bookmark or in any new-style GTK+ file dialog via the buttons below the path list on the left. The set of existing bookmarks is stored in ~/.gtk-bookmarks. I don't know that there's a way to assign a custom icon to them though.


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...