Saturday, May 19, 2018

boot - Installing Vista via Bootable USB created on an XP computer




I am trying to install Windows Vista on my laptop in which the CD drive no longer works. I decided I would install via USB flash drive. On that same laptop I created my bootable flash drive, vLited it to remove some undeeded things and now my laptop wont boot. It tells me that im missing a "hal.dll" file.



So now my laptop is out of commission fully. I have resorted to my old desktop which is running on windows xp. I want to create another bootable flash drive from an original unaltered copy of vista that i have just aquired. When I run DISKPART I cannot get the thing to show up in "LIST DISK" it just shows my computers harddrive. It is fully plugged in and shows up when I go to "my computer" as I: but not in diskpart. Any ideas why?



Im quite desperate now. And am willing to try anything. Can anyone help?


Answer



Looks like you are out of luck to create a bootable USB drive from XP which will work for installing Vista, according to this blog article by James O'Neill at MS. You need to find a Vista / Win7 / Server 2008 machine to do this, or try and fix the install you already have as advised by harrymc.
And maybe don't vLite it next time round?


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...