Monday, May 28, 2018

SD cards often mount read-only on Windows despite being unlocked and always working in cameras

I have a HP netbook that's at least three years old and running Windows 7 Starter. It has a built-in SDHC card slot.


I have a couple of 8 gig SDHC cards that I switch between my digital camera and the netbook. They're full-sized cards like the computer slot is. Not MiniSD or MicroSD. They are from different manufacturers and were bought at different times, but each is now a few years old.


I've gone through half a dozen point-and-click cameras and none of them have ever complained that the SD card is write protected. I never set the write-protect tabs to "locked".


Yet increasingly when I insert the SD card into the computer it will mount as read-only. It used to happen once in a while but now it happens about two times out of three.


The only workaround I have found so far is to eject the SD card and reinsert it. This works about half the time.


Is this a known bug in Windows or in certain HP netbooks? Is there a known fix? If not is there a more reliable workaround?

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...