Saturday, May 12, 2018

windows 8 - Can I reinstall Win8 OEM licence on the same machine?




4y ago or so I built my own PC and bought Win8 and installed it on it.
I still have the DVD and box with the key, but I am not sure if I can reinstall the OS on the same machine without problems since OEM smells to me like some limited version of Win8.



Also if I can not do the reinstall is there any way to purge all the user data from the machine and return it to brand new state - this means all user content, all SW, all registry entries...



To be precise this is what says on the box:
WINDOWS 8 PRO ENG INTL FOR OEM SOFTWARE


Answer




OEM smells to me like some limited version of Win8.





It is not so. The word "OEM" applies to the licensing scheme of the copy of Windows you bought, not its edition. Your edition is "Pro", which is the highest edition for consumers.




Can I reinstall Win8 OEM licence on the same machine?




You can, assuming you know how to. There are special instructions coming with these variants of Windows.




But starting with Windows 8, you can "reset" or "refresh" your PC. These are automated forms of reinstalling that should eliminate your worries about licensing, user data, purging them, etc.


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...