Tuesday, May 15, 2018

login - Windows XP won't log in


I have a friend's laptop running Windows XP SP3 which refuses to log in.


It has a single user account (besides Administrator) without a password.
Now, however, the Welcome screen shows the account as if it had a password, and any attempt to log in (even to Administrator, or to a non-existent username) results in the error message The system cannot log you on now because the domain D2NPL961 is not available. (D2NPL961 is the computer's machine name; it is not joined to a domain)


Safe mode doesn't change anything.


The Windows Classic logon dialog (Ctrl+Alt+Del) does not show the Domain dropdown.


I tried editing the registry offline (in ERD Commander) and making the domain name in Windows NT\CurrentVersion\WinLogon blank, but that didn't change anything.


I tried DreamPackPL, but it didn't affect anything. (Apparently, the error is too early in the logon process)


I tried setting the screensaver for the logon screen to cmd, and I was able to confirm that the machine name is D2NPL961, but I was unable to elevate to admin and do any good.


In the screensaver, the runas command produces the error 1056 An instance of the service is already running; I don't know if that's normal in this situation.


I'd like to try a repair install, but I cannot get administrative privileges.


Has anyone seen this before, or know what might be wrong?
Alteratively, how can I elevate to admin without logging on?


EDIT: To make it clear, the problem here is not a password.


Answer



I booted the system to a Windows XP CD and performed a repair install from the CD.
It's now working fine (AFAIK).


I still don't know what happened, though.


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...