Tuesday, June 19, 2018

sleep - How to remap HID keyboard keys?



I got some "close to useless" USB sleep buttons for computers from a marketing campaign and was wondering how to use it to something cooler. Like.. Playing sad trombone when pressed.



So I went around looking how does it installs, and finally seems to be simply a HID keyboard key. Googlin' a bit more, I've found Patriot's question which seemed quite the answer - but no. The programs they describe there do not trap the commands from the USB dongle even in "teach mode" if I press it my computer goes to sleep -_-




What would be the correct way to find and remap that key to something specific?



Edit Forgot to mention the operation system. it is Windows 7


Answer



It looks like this Keyboard Layout tool by Microsoft lets you remap a key on an existing layout.
Apparently it is a GUI that lets you edit the registry settings for your keyboard mapping.
You can also trying hacking the registry keys under:




HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Keyboard Layout





Good luck. (fade out: whaaa-whaaaarmmm)


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...