Thursday, June 14, 2018

hard drive - Disk Partitions and Performance




I've got the following partition set up on one of my hard drives (Samsung 1TB HD103SJ):



http://i.imgur.com/DTAd3.png



This wasn't the original setup. Before, there were 2 partitions just before the 'Games' partition (a previous Windows OS install, and its 'System Reserved' partition). I've deleted both partitions because I had just purchased an SSD. Then, I've extended the 'Data' partition using the 2 previous partitions' space.



After doing so, I now have this kind of weird partitioning going on. The good thing is 'Data' partition is now 100GB larger than before. The bad thing, however, is that it's located on opposite ends of the drive (not sure if this is how hard drives work, by the way). Although it looks like it's two different partitions, it appears as one 'Data' partition/drive on Windows Explorer.



My question is: are there any disadvantages with this kind of drive/partition setup? If so, how can I fix this?


Answer




I see your disk 0 is dynamic.
Volumes consisting of multiple partitions are OK for dynamic disks.



It's a feature of Veritas Volume Manager under Microsoft branding.



As for opposite ends of the drive, yes, beginning of the disk is a bit faster and ending of the disk is a bit slower, but not that much:



enter image description here


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...