Wednesday, June 20, 2018

linux - How to boot Windows ISO installation using PXE (without Windows AIK or whatever)

I have a Linux PXE server.
Can boot into Linux ISO installers using PXE with no problems.
But how can I do it with Windows ISO? Just start the installation. Without creating some stuff (winpe) under Windows.


I've extracted some files from image.iso/sources/boot.wim /2/Windows/Boot/PXE/ to tftp root


pxeboot.com
wdsnbp.com (-> wdsnbp.0)
bootmgr.exe

Pointed kernel to (in pxelinux.cfg/default):


KERNEL wdsnbp.0

That's at least something that boots and gives:


Downloaded WDSNBP...
Architecture: x64
WDSNBP started using DHCP Referral.
Contacting Server: 10.0.0.1 (Gateway: 0.0.0.0)..
No response from Windows Deployment Services server.
Launching pxeboot.com...
TFTP download failed
Could not boot image: Error 0x00000001 (http://ipxe.org/00000001)
No more network devices
FATAL: Could not read from the boot medium! System halted.

What should I do to continue booting process?
I also created a Samba share with ISO contents, but how to connect all this?
All the tutorials I've found are either outdated or (most) require to create an additional boot image under Windows using its tools. Is it really so sad sad situation?


Update


For Linux ISO I have something like this:


KERNEL u1404/casper/vmlinuz.efi
APPEND boot=casper netboot=nfs nfsroot=10.0.0.1:/var/lib/tftpboot/u1404 initrd=u1404/casper/initrd.lz ip=dhcp --

/var/lib/tftpboot/u1404 is a mount point for Ubuntu 14.04 ISO


For Windows I stopped at this (and the error above) and don't know what exactly to do next:


KERNEL wdsnbp.0

And to clarify: the question is how to do it (configure PXE for Windows ISO) in Linux environment. If I was in a hurry I'd use WDS or some other Windows tools without a question.

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...