Saturday, June 16, 2018

power supply - UPS suddenly restarting, what might be the cause?

Background


My UPS has a backup of about 10 mins, thus, it's battery life is good. No problems detectable.


My CPU, on the other hand, is also fine with no major hardware problems (as it looks so) except that I suspect that it's CMOS battery is weak. I can say so because once in every 4-5 days or so, my computer time resets.


I run windows 7 (I don't think computer specs matter as it's a hardware, more specifically, UPS problem)


Problem


Now on to the problem, from a few days I've been experiencing weird issues. Once in every few days (a week usually) the UPS suddenly restarts (I can confirm it restarts because it gives that long distinctive beep, which it gives when I start it), thus, computer experiences an unexpected shutdown. The issue looks very new to me, Googling hasn't helped. As far as the cause is concerned, I am completely blank. As I said, my UPS' battery life is good and as far as I can tell, there are no power fluctuations at the time this happens.


Secondary Problem


This is yet another problem, which I think is related. I've noticed that whenever I leave my UPS open after shutting down the computer, the next time I open computer, it doesn't. I mean CPU throws green light, fan runs, but the computer doesn't boot. To fix it, I usually reset the motherboard by long pressing the power button and the computer boots as normal.
Any ideas why it's happening?

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...