Friday, June 8, 2018

memory - Can I mix an 8GB chip with a 4GB chip and still get dual channeling?


This is the 4GB version of the chip I want; Crucial Ballistix Sport 4GB Single DDR3 1600 MT/s (PC3-12800) CL9 @1.5V UDIMM 240-Pin Memory Module BLS4G3D1609DS1S00. I have the 8GB version of it already.


Is this a good idea or should I get an 8GB to upgrade to 16GB instead? This is expensive for me, but I could do it.


Also do I need to manually activate dual channeling?


My motherboard has 4 slots. Maybe it would be better to get 2x4?


Answer



In general, no, they need to be identical enough, or precisely identical chips, which is why they tend to be sold in kits. You can't have an 8gb and a 4gb chip and have them in dual channel.


Getting another 8gb chip would probably be the best option, just put it in an appropriate slot (as per your motherboard manual) and you'll have dual channel. While its slightly more expensive, you'd have the benefit of more ram and dual channel, so its faster.


In general I just buy ram in pairs to start with, and not worry about it.


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...