Monday, June 4, 2018

memory - How do I tell where the hardware bottleneck is in my system when ruining a particular task

I realise that there are several duplicate questions around this topic already but all the questions that I have looked at have been for general computer slowdowns. In my case I have a very processor intensive task and I want to see what I can do to speed it up.




The task in question (but I am looking for general solutions, not specific to this task) is stitching 2 4K video files together to form one 360 video.



There are 2 phases to this: stitching and optimising.



Stitching is VERY CPU intensive and I recently both an I9 processor with 28 threads that nearly doubled the speed.
Now when running this part of the process the processor runs at around 80% (previously it was 100% all the time) so this implies that something else is slowing it down.
My 32GB of memory is only 30% used but perhaps it is memory speed?



Disk usage seems to be around 1 - 2%




GPU usage is at about 30%



I doubt I can further speed this up very much at all (just for reference it currently takes around an hour to stitch 1 hour of footage)



The second phase takes around 2 hours for 1 hour of footage and basically creates a lower res video to make editing easier.



During this phase CPU usage is only about 30% and nothing else is highly utilised either (based on resource monitor). There must be something hardware based that is slowing it down - how can I tell what?



Many Thanks




Some notes on my system (which aren't really relevant for answering this question but I put it here for completeness)




  • i9 7940X

  • 32GB (2x16GB) 2400MHz

  • 2 separate M.2 drives (one for read one for write)

  • Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti

  • ASUS ROG STRIX X299-E GAMING

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...