Wednesday, December 28, 2016

WMIC is NOT on Windows XP?


I recently installed Windows XP on a computer because I wanted to confirm some stuff with WMIC. What I wanted to confirm is not relevant to my problem. WMIC is NOT THERE. On Windows 7 I can type "WMIC" from the command line and it runs just fine. On another iteration of XP I typed WMIC and it had to install it, fine. I can't use it there because what I'm testing requires a format.


I've updated EVERYTHING and installed all service packs (first two than the unofficial four) but it's still not there! I did a search for the file, and it didn't find it. I went to the folder in which the file is supposed to be, and it wasn't there (Windows\System32\wbem). What did I do wrong? How do I install WMIC onto Windows XP?


Answer



Home versions of XP don't have proper/full WMI support, so the odds are the WMIC utility just isn't included, regardless of the SP or updates applied.


If you really need it, perhaps try taking a copy from an XP Pro machine.


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...