Friday, December 16, 2016

ubuntu - dd_resccue attempt yields empty .img file



I have a hard drive with a some data corruption and am attempting to recover the data with dd_rescue. I am running Ubuntu 10 running off a thumb drive drive (my primary boot disk is running Windows 7). I cant remember exactly what the command was (see explanation below) but it was something like:



dd_rescue media/MyBadDisk media/MyGoodDisk


The task took about 4 days to run on a 500 GB HDD and I wasn't around when it actually finished. The terminal window was blank and was not showing a prompt anymore. There was a cursor and keystrokes would advance the cursor but nothing would actually display. On the destination disk there is a new MyBadDisk.img file but it is 0 bytes.




Did I do something wrong? I want to run the task again but I dont want to wait another 4 days to find out I screwed something up again.


Answer



It doesn't sound like it finished, but try Scrounge NTFS. I've had good luck with it when dd_rescue wouldn't do the trick.


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...