Saturday, December 17, 2016

Should I buy a higher-output power supply if I don't play game at all?


I'm buying a new power supply for my computer. I'm considering two models, one is 650W and the other 750W. The 750W one is cheaper than 650W, but my computer doesn't need that much power. I never play any graphic-intensive games. My current 350W PSU is barely doing the job well.


So which one should I buy? If a buy the 750W, will it consume more power in the long run?


Answer



The rating of the power supply is it's peak rating. That is the maximum power it can deliver.


If you only draw 500W of power (say) then the running costs of the 750W and 650W PSU will be the same - assuming they have roughly the same efficiency rating.


There are many other, possibly more important, factors than cost:



  1. Quality. This is a good guide to the efficiency and life-span of the PSU.

  2. Noise (thanks Richard). You are going to be sitting next to this device for long periods and a noisy fan is going to get annoying (at best) and really uncomfortable (at worst), so look for a quiet one.

  3. Cable management. A more expensive PSU might have more, and more varied internal power connectors so you can connect up all your internal peripherals without extra splitters/converters. Though this is also often a function of the output. A higher rated PSU is going to have more connectors than a lower rated one.


Therefore I'd consider buying the cheapest one that delivers more power than you need, but meets the other criteria outlined above. Having a good margin is useful as you don't have to worry if you add more hard-drives or a more powerful graphics card in the future.


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...