Monday, December 12, 2016

How do I trace computer freeze

I have been trying to find the cause of a computer freezing issue for the past few days.
My computer freezes completely, and doesn't come out of it no matter how long I wait. I have run many hardware and software tests:


I'm running Windows 7 home premium on a Acer Aspire X1420.
I have a non-stock video card. Club AMD Radeon HD 5450 (For slim workstations)



  • chkdsk on hard drive

  • memory tests

  • virus and maleware scans

  • OS integrity tests

  • Drivers are up to date

  • Windows updates are up to date

  • checked Event viewer for info on crash (there's nothing)


SO! I finally found a way to reproduce the problem. For some reason, when I try to install Skype, it freezes during the installer. It still freezes other times, but at least I have something I can trigger it with.


I'm wondering if there is any debugging, or logging tools that I can use to help me find out what exactly is going wrong when it crashes? I hope to run a logger / debugger during the install of Skype, and find out what happens to Windows when it crashes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...