Monday, December 19, 2016

Windows 10 can't see SSD in Disk management but it's visible under Device Manager & BIOS


I have a new Samsung 860 EVO SSD, removed one of the working drives and connected the SSD instead. I see the SSD in the BIOS and under Disk Drives in Device Manager but it's not visible at all under Disk Management and File Explorer. No visible meaning not even as an unallocated drive or a drive needing formatting or needing a drive letter.


I went through the suggestions of running the Memory Diagnostics utility and uninstalling the 'Standard SATA AHCI Controller' from the device manager. Rebooted and noticed the AHCI controller is back. Maybe Windows needs it.
The boot drive is a regular hard drive.
I will try placing the boot drive and the SSD in different SATA ports.


Any other suggestions on how to troubleshoot this?


Answer



It seems there's a bug where Windows 10 doesn't recognize the SSD if it's not formatted. I used a third party tool formatter and then it showed up in Disk Management.


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...