Monday, December 26, 2016

Are the installation media for Windows 10 Home and Professional different?

I'm going to install Windows 10 on a new notebook soon, and I tried to prepare a USB drive for installation. Unfortunately Microsoft has pulled the 1511 update for the media creation tool, and I need that update so that the old Windows Professional key will be recognized and I don't have to perform an upgrade first before doing a clean install.


You can still find the 1511 version of the media creation tool on various sites, I tried that but I only get the choice between the "Windows 10" and "Windows 10 N" editions. With the non-1511 tool directly from Microsoft I got also the choice for Windows Professional there.


Are the installation media for Windows 10 Home and Professional actually different? Or can I install Windows Professional with a USB drive created with the "Windows 10" edition selected in the media creation tool?

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...