Monday, December 26, 2016

How can I install TeamViewer on Windows x64?



I have downloaded the newest version 8.0.18051 of TeamViewer 8 from their website. It claims to be "compatible with Windows 8".



That may be true for a 32-bit OS, but I cannot get the downloaded setup.exe to install on either Windows 7 x64 or Windows 8 Pro x64. Win7 says it's not a Win32 application; Win8 just says "This app can't run on your PC".




However, I have TV 8.0.17396 running on my Win7 x64, because I upgraded it from an former TV7 version.



I have tried:




  • running in a compatibity mode

  • running as Administrator

  • turning off SmartScreen (Win8)

  • downloading TV7 and installing that




Please advise.


Answer



The usual reasons for Windows 7 reporting an exe as "Not a valid Win32 application" is for one of the following reasons:




  1. File is corrupt, bad, or missing.

  2. File is not designed for your version of Windows.

  3. File is a virus, worm, or other malware file.


  4. Hardware incompatibility.



It is most likely not option 2 as it is designed to run on Windows 7 and 8 - I'm running it on both OSes (64 bit)



3 is also unlikely if you've downloaded it from the Teamviewer website. Malware is possible if the code/site had been compromised but unlikely given the volume of users of this product who would have reported something by now.



4 is unlikely unless you have an underlying and undetected hardware issue.



If we look at the reasons for 1 we know your file isn't missing (it's not trying to run a pre-installed application with missing dependencies.) So we are faced with it being corrupt or bad - that is, the file hasn't successfully downloaded completely.




I've just downloaded the same version for Windows (I'm assuming the full version and not the portable version etc.)



Calculating the MD5 hash using WinMD5Sum on it I get the following:



46bc67b377a0c84b1174f51c6709b8ae


I would recommend running an MD5 sum on the version you've downloaded and compare with the code I've provided above. Unfortunately they don't provide a hash on their website to validate the exe downloaded is valid.


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...