Saturday, December 17, 2016

command line - using "runas" with "Administrator" account versus other admin accounts

On my computer, I have two admin accounts. The default admin account named "Administrator", and a new admin account named "testadmin."


If I run the following commands:


runas /user:testadmin cmd.exe
runas /user:Administrator cmd.exe

The first one opens up a new cmd.exe as "testadmin", but it's not truly running in Administrator mode, i.e. I get "Access denied" if I try to write to C:\Windows.


The second window opens up a new cmd.exe as "Administrator", but it's running in true Administrator mode. I can successfully write to any folder on my computer.


The name of the first window is "cmd.exe (running as [ComputerName]\testadmin)"


The name of the second window is "Administrator: cmd.exe (running as [ComputerName]\Administrator)"


If both accounts have admin privileges, why is there a difference in behavior here? I hate that I can't open a window from the command line as testadmin in true Administrator mode... it's really annoying.

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...