Monday, December 26, 2016

windows 7 - Fix an unusable flash drive

Make a bootable Windows10 32 bit flash drive (size 4 GB) but it does not seem to be working. How can I restore it to its original factory state and make it a bootable drive? Thanks!


Things I have tried and what went wrong:



  1. Used Rufus tool to do the job, failed halfway, made the drive write protected.

  2. Then followed this guide.

  3. On the clean command, things went bad, diskpart exited and my computer started went to not responding.

  4. Things were stuck on flash drive being in write protected.

  5. After googling a bit, I further went into DiskPart and tried all sorts of formatting and clear commands. I was able to remove the write protection, tried it from my computer it was working. Tried to format it to NTFS. It broke again.

  6. Downloaded Bootice and re-partitioned it to FAT32. It was working again, but became write protected.

  7. Saw this thread. But it fails on the step, create partition primary.


The current state of the drive, as seen my DiskPart is:


1

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...