Wednesday, December 21, 2016

Windows 10 - Controlling Automatic Update

I'm currently running Windows 7 but I'll probably get a new PC with Windows 10 Pro this year. I've heard horror stories about automatic updates with Windows 10 happening at unpredictible times and causing big problems so I'm trying to understand them. This question implies you can "defer" them but was a little unclear about defer them to exactly when, or how long? Likewise the suggestion about Active Hours was a little unclear about how rigorously Microsoft follows it, i.e., if I say my "active" hours are 8AM to 6AM, does that guarantee that updates will only happen between 6-8AM?


I do professional video production so I'm often in the middle of big projects with tight schedules, and my PC is often running long multi-hour exports or conversions. Overnight I'm often running batch-jobs, complete backups, malware scans or de-frags. So an unscheduled reboot or interruption could be disastrous.


How do I exercise precise control over this risk? I'd be perfectly happy to run an Update every single day as long as I could start it manually to make sure that no backups, exports, de-frags are running at the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...