Tuesday, December 20, 2016

installation - Installing Windows 8 using an existing key


Is there an option to enter an existing Windows 8 license key in the Upgrade Assistant?


I bought the License during my first try, but it got stuck at 62% when readying devices so I had to restore my Windows 7. Now when I run the assistant again I have only one option to buy a new License (again).


UPDATE: I found out there are to different executables, Windows8-Upgrade-Assistant.exe and Windows8-Setup.exe (I got the second one via a link from the email I received with my key).


Windows8-Setup.exe gives me the option to download Windows8 install and create an ISO or USB Drive but both options fail with this message: "Sorry, something happened and we couldn't finish creating the ISO. Restart Setup and try again."


Answer



Frank, you should be able to use an existing product key.


According to this and the images and comments here, you should be prompted to enter a Windows 8 Product Key.



You should be prompted for a key. Try using your Windows 7 key, at which point you should/may be prompted for the upgrade. If that doesn’t work, then you can reinstall Windows 7 with the key, then upgrade directly from there.


desc


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...