Friday, December 30, 2016

How to organize a hard drive for Linux/Windows sharing?

I have Linux Mint 14 and Windows 8 installed (dual-booting) on my computer. I mostly use Linux but still need Windows sometimes.


Here's a screenshot of the output of sudo fdisk -l command:


SU528171 example
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/37485576/fdisk%20output.png



  • sda1: The 350 MB partition Windows 8 allocates (I still don't know why.)

  • sda2: Windows installation

  • sda3: My shared NTFS drive

  • sda5: Linux Mint 14 installation

  • sda6: Swap area for Linux Mint


Most of my files are in sda3 which I share between the two OSs (kind of like my backup partition). I can access it from both operating systems. However, sometimes my files get corrupted.


Example: I recently downloaded Eclipse and extracted it to a folder in sda3 drive in Linux Mint. It was working fine. Then when I switched to Windows, it asked me to repair my drives because there were some errors. I accepted, Windows did some scanning and restarted. When I switched back to Linux Mint, I noticed that Eclipse wasn't working. When I checked, most of the files in Eclipse folder were corrupted. Similar things happen the other way around as well. Sometimes I'm not able to see and/or open files in Windows that I created/downloaded in Linux Mint. I'm tired of losing files like this.


I know this can be a hardware issue too (my computer is kind of old) but if it is not, is there a better way to share a drive than I currently do (a separate NTFS partition for both)?


Edit after request


df -Th output:
Filesystem Type Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/sda5 ext4 14G 11G 2.5G 81% /
udev devtmpfs 2.0G 4.0K 2.0G 1% /dev
tmpfs tmpfs 785M 1.1M 784M 1% /run
none tmpfs 5.0M 0 5.0M 0% /run/lock
none tmpfs 2.0G 2.3M 2.0G 1% /run/shm
none tmpfs 100M 16K 100M 1% /run/user
/dev/sda3 fuseblk 201G 186G 16G 93% /media/mAt
uname -a output:
Linux mAt-VAIO 3.5.0-21-generic #32-Ubuntu SMP Tue Dec 11 18:51:59 UTC 2012 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linu

x

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...