Monday, November 28, 2016

windows xp - How do I run CHKDSK on an "Unmountable Boot Volume"?

My Dell machine running Windows XP SP3 can't start Windows : Unmountable Boot Volume.



I tried using the original Win XP disk to do a Repair, but it stops at 'Examining ... Disk 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on Unknown'.



I then ran a Dell diagnostics test which reported 'Msg: Block 16980047: Uncorrectable data error or media is write protected'. The tests took in excess of 7 hrs.



Is there any way that I can run chkdsk /r to 'repair' this drive, since my XP disk cant get me to a command prompt etc?

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...