Thursday, November 17, 2016

windows 10 - Missing UEFI Boot option entry

Configuration


HP Omen 15


1 original HDD 1Tb with windows 10


1 M2 SSD 500Gb with Windows 10 Pro (I initially cloned HDD to SSD)


See diskpart disk/vol - my main system is in Volume 4 (drive E:) on SSD


Issue


motherboard died and had to send the laptop for warranty repair (without the SSD). They replaced it.


When I put back my M2 SSD, UEFI couldn't detect its bootloader (See UEFI Boot options. Or Basic boot device menu)


Temporary workarounds


For those who face the same issue, I do manage to boot on my SSD through one of the following way:


- Best workaround: using easyUEFI, I managed to update the existing "Windows Boot Manager" entry to target the SSD instead of the HDD
- I added my SSD windows installation through my HDD windows system recovery menu, which had the effect of popping up a screen to let me choose between the 2 install at startup. I'm not happy as I'd like to be able to select the default system from the BIOS UEFI menu
- I can access the SSD windows EFI file through the basic boot device menu (See this). But it's not a stable solution


Expected result


I want 2 Windows Boot Manager entries into UEFI Boot options, 1 for each disk/system.


What I've tried



  • rebuilding BCD through System recovery cmd with diskpart bcdboot and so on...

  • playing with VisualBCD, but I'm afraid of destroying something


Thanks in advance, any help is appreciated !

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...