Friday, November 25, 2016

windows 7 - How to enlarge or move bitlocker system partition


I have 2 partitions on my 120 GB SSD (one for system, one for multimedia data which rarely changes). I am using Bitlocker encryption for both partition. After I have replaced the SSD with larger one, I wanted to enlarge both partitions, however could not find a way how to do it. Particulary I needed to extend the C drive as it was almost full and prevented further Windows updates installations.


First I cloned the entire disk with HDClone - unfortunately it treats bitlocker paritions as raw data, so can't manipulate them, only copy them block-by-block. So I have ended with my new SSD having two small partitions and after them half of SSD as unassigned space.


I tried various free partitioning tools, but could not find any which would be able to move the D drive. For all the bitlocker partition was raw data. The Windows itself is able to resize bitlocker partitions, but is not able to move them.


Answer



Finally I was able to find AOMEI Partition Assistant, which is able to "copy" bitlocker partition even into the same drive. For D drive this is an online operation and it can "move" the partition to get some free space after the C drive. However it can't resize bitlocker partitions.


Using this I was able to make a free space between C and D drives. Then I used built-in Windows Disk Management component of Computer Management to extend both partitions (Extend Volume options after right-clicking on partition).


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...