Sunday, November 20, 2016

anti virus - Microsoft Security Essentials Not Monitoring



When I boot into Windows Vista, Microsoft Security Essentials is set to run when the system starts. When I open the program, it says Microsoft Security Essentials isn't monitoring your computer because the program's service stopped. It tells me that it can't update definitions or enable real time protection unless I do it manually (every time I boot). Is there a way I can fix this so I always have real time protection and updating?


Answer



Go in to computer management, (Click the Start Orb > Right click on Computer > Click on Manage)



Next, go down to Services and Applications > Services and look for Microsoft Antimalware Service




Make sure that this is set to Automatic.



alt text



If this is already set to Automatic, it is possible that you are simply not giving it enough time to fully start. I have seen some older machines, or even newish ones that simply have so many items set to start with the machine, it can take a good couple of minutes for the Antivirus service to start.


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...